PRAY-GO: NOT THE SPAGHETTI SAUCE
One of the mistakes that Christians often make is just to pray for something when something else is necessary to get the right results. For instance, when I teach on overcoming depression, you can’t really overcome it by just praying it away over yourself or someone else. How do I know that?
Isaiah 26:3 (ESV)
3 You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.
To get peace of mind you must put your mind of Jesus. Ask God to help you. He will. The Bible talks about “renewing your mind.” You are depressed because you are thinking about depressing things and these things are controlling your emotions. I have been on both sides. This is a powerful truth.
Proverbs 17:22 (ESV)
22 A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.
Start listening to some good uplifting Christian music and sing along with it.
1. First, we must realize this that Faith without Works (corresponding actions) is dead
James 2:17-26 (ESV)
17 So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
18 But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.
19 You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder!
20 Do you want to be shown, you foolish person, that faith apart from works is useless?
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered up his son Isaac on the altar?
22 You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by his works;
23 and the Scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness”—and he was called a friend of God.
24 You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone.
25 And in the same way was not also Rahab the prostitute justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way?
26 For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead.
So, what is Prayer for?
· I believe prayer is for intercession (praying for other’s needs-like missionaries on a mission field would be one example)
· I believe it is for petition? Ask God to meet your needs (I would use a Bible Promise with this prayer)
· For me the primary use of prayer is: Communion
Hanging out with Jesus
(telling him I love him/Praising him in the Spirit/Praising him with my Words/Thanking him for his goodness to me.)
· (For me as a Spirit-Filled Believer-I can pray in tongues)
(It empowers me (recharges the batteries)/stirs up the fruit of the Spirit-for instance it gives me joy
I spend way more time speaking in tongues than in English?
· (When I am walking I prayer quietly in tongues, so people wouldn’t hear me and get the butterfly net because they don’t get it.) Spiritual chat-heads will pop up in my mind-just like on Facebook only God is laying this person or persons on my heart to pray for.
· I get a lot of Words of Knowledge (prophetic words) for people(it’s an encouragement to their situation. It’s awesome a little scary to deliver one.
2. Here’s where the Go comes in?
Matthew 28:19-20 (ESV)
19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
So, can you pray someone into salvation? “Lord, I pray for Mary that you will save her.”
No, Not by itself
There must be a seed sown from the Word. How shall they hear if nobody tells them. No, you must go
Remember when Jesus said pray that eh Lord of the harvest would send laborers. I believe the need is greater today. There aren’t enough Christians sharing the Gospel. This is an area that I am working on to be more effective in. I am believing God this year for that.
3. So, what about this Pray-Go?
This works in so many situations but seeing somebody saved is perhaps the best illustration
Pray and Go and you Pray as You Go, and you Pray after you Go
Prayer is like water and fertilizer it gets the ground of their heart ready and then you must sow the seed which is the Gospel (could be your testimony and a challenge for them to receive Jesus)
So next time your are out in the grocery store and you are looking for some spaghetti sauce and you see the Prego: I hope God will remind you that you can pray and go