VICTIM OR VICTOR-YOU GET TO CHOOSE!
1 Samuel 30:1-6 (ESV)
1 Now when David and his men came to Ziklag on the third day, the Amalekites had made a raid against the Negeb and against Ziklag. They had overcome Ziklag and burned it with fire
2 and taken captive the women and all who were in it, both small and great. They killed no one, but carried them off and went their way.
3 And when David and his men came to the city, they found it burned with fire, and their wives and sons and daughters taken captive.
4 Then David and the people who were with him raised their voices and wept until they had no more strength to weep.
5 David’s two wives also had been taken captive, Ahinoam of Jezreel and Abigail the widow of Nabal of Carmel.
6 And David was greatly distressed, for the people spoke of stoning him, because all the people were bitter in soul, each for his sons and daughters. But David strengthened himself in the LORD his God.
1. David was God’s anointed to be king
· Just look at his situation. It doesn’t get much worse than that
2. In verse 4, it said he and his men cried till they had no more tears
· talk about a bad day at bedrock
3. Maybe you have had a situation that just has crushed you or is crushing you right now
· Maybe you feel God failed you
· why would he let this happen?
4. Maybe you prayed for someone’s healing
· And they died, and you don’t understand why?
5. The first person I prayed for regarding Divine Healing died.
· She was my niece and she was severely handicapped and at 4 ½ years of age she died. She was my first funeral.
6. When you go through a difficult situation you are going to be hurt and have questions.
· It is just how we are made
7. What is the key in this passage to victory?
· David had a choice. He could either give in to his feelings and look at the circumstances and quit or he could ENCOUGARGE HIMSELF IN THE LORD. He chooses the later
8. I had three collapses during my 10 years in hell and I asked God why this kept happening and he showed me?
· I would get healed and start going forward and then crash and burn
· This is what God revealed this to me
Hebrews 12:3 (KJV)
3 For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.
I fainted in my mind. I got my eyes off Jesus and onto natural things-just like Peter did when he was walking on water and saw the wind and waves.
Hebrews 12 1,2 is the answer
1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Keep you eyes on Jesus and you can walk on water
He’s the Author and Finisher of our faith
· So is it alright to cry? Absolutely
· Is it alright to question? (if you do it in the right spirit)
· Is it alright to get the encouragement of others? (Of Course)
· But there must come a time when it’s just God and you and you must choose Victor or Victim
· Do you want to continue to feel sorry for yourself and have others feel sorry for you or do you want to do something about it?
· You can’t have it both ways.
9. David chose to encourage himself in the Lord and not give in and a short time later he became King
10. I was encouraged to apply for disability and received the letter to go forward I chose not to receive disability and believe God to heal me and I was headed
· You can either give in or believe God
· It may not be easy
· You might have some setbacks like I did
· But you will overcome this whatever it is
And always remember this:
Galatians 6:9 (ESV)
9 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.